05 February, 2005

they say god created bellingham/bremerton/lakewood/monterey to train the faithful

Today was Rashomon day! I've been meaning to sit down with H and watch all that Kurosawa in the monument/monolith (black dvd holder) for the longest time. Can't decide what's next... probably Yojimbo, or The Seven Samurai. I think we're gonna work up to Ikiru (which every human should watch). There's something about Kurosawa - maybe it's just that he's such a good storyteller, the way Shakespeare was a good storyteller, only with amazing visuals. It even feels like reading Plato sometimes, especially parts of Madadayo and the last half-hour of Ikiru.

God I hate my business class. The book especially - it's supposed to be written to help people start their own business, except it actually devotes a fair amount of time vilifying "Mom & Pop" businesses because they "sell mostly imported products." Everybody who knows anything about capitalism knows that in a free market small businesses are necessary because they promote competition, which promotes innovation, which advances society. Bah. Anyway I don't even want to start a business. Not sure what I was thinking.

Here's a keyboard:

And sweeeetie, at "Oriento" fine chinese cuisine: with a name like Oriento, how could you expect anything less than fine quality Mexican- I mean Chinese cuisine!

Current Music: Four-Tet, Pause

2 Comments:

Blogger FM Hradek said...

Haha, good to see you post. I really wish the others had blogs going.... sigh

I saw a movie called Zelary recently, of Czech origin, 2004. It was... recommended viewing. I hate saying more than that to avoid disrupting expectations. I am thrilled to watch Der Untergang but I have yet to locate a copy.

7/2/05 2:32 PM  
Blogger josh p said...

I looked up Der Untergang on Netflix, and it said it wasn't released yet... sounds fascinating though!

8/2/05 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home