04 October, 2006

character re-classing and you

I love everything.

This job is readjusting my modes of operation: where before I would casually shirk one of PizzaHut's policies, e.g. always getting a credit card rubbing from a customer, simply from lack of identification with the multinational corporation & its ideals, now I feel compelled to "care" about not only my position within this company, but *gasp*, the company itself, family-owned and co-competitive as it is. There is a story about how HPB won't expand into Colorado until a nonagenarian businesslady there releases interest in her own pre-existing "Half-Price Books," a single, teeny store. Ethical business practices! What?

Every job I've ever had, I've coasted. Seems dangerous to be feeling this idealism again, what a job should be, which I haven't felt since hs graduation (turbulent times as they were). The sleeper awakens? Somewhere between life ambitions and survival necessities, the last ten years have been quite nearly murderous.

The last 3 days have been solid training, working with managers and reading dense manuals for hours on end, watching some (occasionally, surprisingly creative) training videos, just getting to know the ins & outs. This shadowing will continue for at least another week, and we're told (we = me & the girl hired the same day, christened "punk rock girl" by staff) the job won't be fluent until after six months. It feels almost alien, the opportunity/desire to invest myself in employment, having adopted anti-capitalist attitudes over the years simply out of resentment of corporate greed. The reality is that within capitalism, there is room to maneuver, if you asume and understand your ultimate responsibility to your self, and your connection to the rest of the world. A free market is not deleterious to agency.

So, I like this job so far. What this means for the future is uncertain in specifics, but more certain on a broader, deeper scale. I'm still just an hs graduate after nearly 10 years, and suddenly I'm not feeling so horrible about it. I think maybe that feeling was coloring my worldview with unnecessary opacity.

Where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite.

2 Comments:

Blogger Duncan Idaho said...

[admiral akbar]

It's a trap!

[/admiral akbar]

6/10/06 10:44 PM  
Blogger FM Hradek said...

HAHA! Perhaps it is!

Hoenstly, I have come to realize that you can have a meaningful career even in this world. It just takes time to find one worth *your* time.

See ya soon!

12/10/06 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home